Do I Need to Seal my Pavers?
10 November 2016
To seal or not to seal?
If you’re asking yourself ‘Do I need to seal my pavers?’ you aren’t alone – it is one of the most common questions we're asked! The short answer to the question is no, you don’t need to seal your pavers. While it’s not necessary for any structural or performance reasons, we do recommend that you seal your pavers to protect your investment.
If you’ve bought Adbri, you’ve bought the best and sealing your pavers will ensure they look great and remain that way for years to come.
Stains can be tough to remove but easy to prevent!
Sealing your pavers has many benefits to ensure you’re investing your money wisely into a product that looks great and stands the test of time. The last thing you want is for your brand new paved area to be stained from BBQ grease, spilt drinks, leaf stains or anything else your area may be subject to. Sealing your pavers will allow you to clean and maintain them with little effort allowing you to protect your investment from anything that your family throws at is (literally). Once your pavers are sealed, they are easier, faster and cheaper to clean.
Benefits of sealing your pavers
- Makes cleaning faster, easier and significantly cheaper than not sealing.
- Protects your long-term investment.
- Sealants are designed to protect your pavers from the elements, i.e. rain, snow, ice and the sun's UV rays.
- Helps to prevents staining of dropped items on pavers.
- Reduces the likelihood of weeds and moss growing over your pavers.
- Can enhance the vibrance of your pavers.
Choosing the right sealer
How to seal your pavers
Here is an outline of the sealing process and appropriate preparations for your pavers before you seal.
**Think ahead when talking to your landscape contractor expert and ask them to include the price of the sealing your pavers in the total project cost before work commences.
- Make sure you have a dry surface to work from and check the forecast - Ensure that the weather will work in your favour, that means no rain projected for at least the next 24 hours.
- Remove all debris/stains from the surface of the pavers - Use a good broom to sweep the pavers to ensure they're clean for sealing. (Avoid using a leaf blower as you may accidentally blast the stabilising sand out from between your pavers) For specific stain removal have a look at our tips and tricks HERE.
- Get rid of any weeds between the pavers.
- Apply the sealer according to the manufacturers recommendations.
- Allow the paver surface dry before walking on it in accordance to time frame outlined by the sealant manufacturer.
Need a hand?
If you need a hand choosing sealing products for your job, have a chat to one of our Adbri Certified Retailers. They'll be sure to help you in the next step of your project!
You can also check out our social media pages for more masonry inspiration