DIY retaining wall projects are made easy with Adbri Masonry! Learn how to lay retaining wall blocks like an expert with our extensive resources including project fact sheets, step-by-step video instructions and inspiration gallery!
Retaining walls are beneficial for building soil retaining walls, reclaiming sloped land and reducing erosion. It can also be used to create feature walls, planter boxes and veggie patches.
Get started on your next DIY retaining wall project with Adbri Masonry. Contact us today on 1300 365 565.
Before you start, check you have all the right equipment to create a retaining wall in your home:
• Garden Gloves
• Rubber Mallet
• Road Base (for levelling Pad)
• 10mm – 20mm Blue Metal (for drainage)
• Safety Glasses
• Spirit Level
• Straight Edge
• String Line
• Small Broom
• Hammer & Bolster (for splitting blocks)
• Bricksaw (where required)
Best suited brick and concrete block products at Adbri:
AB Aussie Vertical Premium
435mm x 200mm x 240mm
AB Classic Premium
435mm x 200mm x 305mm
AB Junior Vertical Premium
216mm x 200mm x 240mm
Wallstone® Grand Premium
300mm x 150mm x 220mm
(182F,132B)mm x 125mm x 182mm
400mm x 200mm x 215mm/span>
Natural Impressions® Flagstone Premium
300mm x 100mm x 175mm
Meadow Stone Premium
400mm x 150mm x 200mm
Choose Adbri Masonry brick and block retaining wall products for your next DIY project. To view our full range of retaining wall products click here.
These instructions serve as a guide only for unreinforced walls being constructed to the maximum unreinforced heights allowable for each product stated in the Adbri Masonry Segmental Retaining Wall Brochure.
• Mark out location of trench
Tip: Make the trench as wide as the plate compacter you will use – it makes getting the base level much easier!
• Excavate the selected area to the nominated levelling pad depth plus half the block height.
• Remove any roots, soft earth or debris and compact the base of the trench.
7. PREPARE FOOTINGS/BASE
• Spread road base or concrete along the bottom of the trench.
• Compact the granular material with a whacker-packer ensuring the surface is level.
• Screed a bed of sand approximately 30mm thick over the road base and ensure this sand base is level with your spirit level. It is vital to get this right so your wall is straight and level.
8. LAYING THE FIRST COURSE
• Set up a string line to assist while you lay the blocks. The string line is your gauge for level and straight lines for the wall.
• Ensure the blocks are laid tightly side by side and installed level front to back, side to side and in relation to adjoining units. Tap with a rubber mallet until level.
• For walls that are regarded as retaining walls and not garden edges, consider a 100mm AG pipe with a protective sock, to encourage water to move away from the rear of the wall. Outlets should be located at low points and occur at no more than 20m centres. Refer to Adbri retaining wall and technical brochures for further detail on drainage.
• Once the first course has been completed, fill the cores of the blocks (if it has cores) with a blue metal aggregate as well as filling behind the wall to the specified area.
9. CONTINUE BUILDING THE WALL
• You are now able to lay the second course (which will be the same for any other course from here on in). Make sure to sweep off any loose material sitting on top of the blocks that may affect the placement of the next course.
Simply stack blocks on top of one another until and continue to check level.
note: Backfill with drainage material as you go as this will keep the wall stable. Be sure to monitor the locking lugs or lips as you go; they are vital to both the appearance and integrity of the wall.
10. SECURE THE CAPPING UNITS
• Once again make sure that the top of the block is free of dirt and dust, before the capping unit is installed.
• The capping unit will need to be secured with a suitable adhesive such as Landscape Liquid Nails; this will finish the wall neatly whilst ensuring the cap is secured to the wall.
For further information, please download our fact sheet guide here. Contact Adbri Masonry on 1300 365 565 for all enquiries.
Be inspired, view our collection of garden retaining wall ideas for your next DIY project:
Have you been inspired? Contact Adbri Masonry today on 1300 365 565 for more information and get started on your next retaining wall project!